Dear Parents and Carers,
We would like to take this opportunity to update you with the situation regarding the Coronavirus (COVID-19).
- The school continues to follow all advice issued by Public Health, Welsh Government and Local Authority. The school has not be advised to close at this time.
- The school has increased the cleaning regime in the school with a greater focus on touch points. Hand washing facilities are well stocked and the children receive constant messages about how to properly wash hands in order to maintain good hygiene. The Vice-Chair of our governing body has been very pro-active following concerns raised on Facebook and has visited the school. He has been reassured during a tour of facilities that there is more than enough soap and hand towels in every class and toilet for the pupils to use.
- The current situation
- For further updates please refer to our website or Dojo app. For further Coronavirus advice please refer to https://phw.nhs.wales
As the Coronavirus continues to spread, the talk of school closures is increasing. I only know the official guidelines that schools will continue to open for the foreseeable future. So, currently we are not closing.
However, we have started to make plans for the possibility the school will have to close. Initially we thought the closures would be quite short term and so were going to send work home. However, it is likely that when/if schools do close, it will be for a period of several weeks. Clearly it is not possible to send weeks of work home with every child, and so we are making plans for distance learning.
In order for this to be successful, families need to be contactable so please make sure we have up-to-date phone details and that you have the school website address. (www.hengoedprimary.co.uk) However, the only way you will be able to contact your child’s class teacher directly, will be through the Dojo app. PLEASE COULD I ENCOURAGE YOU ALL TO DOWNLOAD THIS APP AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
We will also be sending out the pupils’ accounts details for our online learning platforms. Please keep these safe – maybe stick them on the fridge or take a photo of them on your phone. The teachers will also keep a copy of these so if you do lose them.
Our online learning platforms are:
- Accelerated Reader: This will be used from Year 3 up. Currently it can only be used in school but we are in talks with the company about ways it can be accessed at home via digital books, so we will send home the passwords in hope!
- Google Classrooms: this will be used with Years 3-6. The teacher can set work and the pupils can complete this electronically.
- HWB: Welsh Government website giving access to a wide range of learning materials.
- Class dojo: Could parents please accept their invites.
We may also direct pupils to electronic work available on websites, such as BBC Schools, or worksheets that can be downloaded (we will be sending home books for this purpose). These may include:
- TTRockstars: this helps pupils learn their times tables. Teachers set them tasks. It is very popular with the pupils. (currently free joining for parents)
- Oxford Owl: has a wide selection of free e books
- Phonicsplaycomics: that has a variety of comics to read basics on phonic patterns.
- Twinkl: has a wide variety of powerpoints and resources for all subjects.
The children would be set a daily English and Maths task, as well as a weekly project. You will be able to contact staff with any work-related queries through Dojo.
A number of pupils are already absent, and in some cases we have been asked for work. Our current priority is preparing for a whole-school closure. We plan to move onto individual absences next week.
If you have any questions, please contact myself or the class teacher. Please take care. Be sensible and look after yourselves.
Deputy Head teacher